The goal of this project was to contribute to an open source community by remediating a bug fix request.
The issue that I picked was to update the TigerOS website to link to the latest release of TigerOS. I need to create custom HTML for my blog, so I thought I would be capable of fixing that issue. The contact listed on the request was Tim Zabel, so I contacted Zabel on Telegram. We are both part of RIT’s FOSS Telegram/IRC/Matrix bridge group, so I thought it would be easiest to introduce myself there.
I asked Zabel if I could work on TigerOS for my bugfix, and he agreed. We planned a call to review TigerOS’s set up and the changes that I would make. During the call, I learned I will be working on GitHub, which is where TigerOS’s hosts their website. However, TigerOS’s hosts their Linux distribution on GitLab.
I enjoyed working with TigerOS. It was simple, fun and involved RIT students. I also gained confidence in my abilities as a contributor. Lastly, I asked Zabel if I could take on larger requests, so I could make a larger contribution.
This is the first part of a three part series. Read part II here.